Skylou Montessori Libradene is an Initiate member school, catering for a 0-3 and 3-6 environment.
Commitment to the South African Montessori Association
A member of the South African Montessori Association:
- complies with this Code of Conduct,
- discloses all relevant information to SAMA,co-operates with SAMA,
- accepts and complies with the procedures and requirements of SAMA.
Commitment to the Public
To uphold the interests and integrity of SAMA, commitment to maintaining a good public image is vital. In light of this, and bearing the aims and objectives of SAMA in mind, a member shall:
- honestly represent the image of SAMA and Montessori education,
- inform the public within framework of their Montessori knowledge and education,
- disseminate accurate information,
- be honest about the qualifications being offered through an organisation,
- whenever speaking or writing about policies, the member should clearly and unequivocally distinguish their private views from the official position of SAMA.
Commitment to the Child
In fulfilment of the obligation to the child, the member shall provide a Montessori environment which reflects the implementation of authentic Montessori principals which
- encourages independent action in the pursuit of learning,
- protects the opportunity to provide for participation in educational programmes without regard to race, sex, colour, creed or national origin,
- acknowledges the uniqueness, individuality, and specific needs of each learner,
- guides and encourages each child to realise his or her potential,
- takes reasonable measures to protect the health and safety of child,
- keeps in confidence any information that has been secured in the course of professional service, unless disclosure serves professional purposes or is required by law,
- refrains from any form of harm or ill treatment deliberately inflicted on a child,
- refrains from improper physical contact with learners,
- promotes gender equality;
- refrains from any form of sexual harassment (physical or otherwise) of learners,
- refrains from any form of sexual relationship with learners at a school,
- demonstrates Montessori Grace and Courtesy when interacting with the child.
Commitment to the Profession
The member should uphold the good reputation of SAMA and Montessori principles and other members. The member also endeavours to raise professional standards and conditions to attract persons worthy of trust to careers in Montessori education.
In fulfilling these goals, the member shall;
- extend just and equitable treatment to all members of the Montessori education profession,
- represent their own professional qualification with clarity and true intent,
- use honest and effective methods of administering their duties, use of time and conducting business,
- honour professional commitments; maintain obligations, and contracts,
- not abuse the position he or she holds for financial, political or personal gain and is not negligent or indolent in the performance of his or her professional duties,
- not actively canvass/solicit for the enrolment of student or the employment of staff from other institutions,
- uphold the reasonable and legal expectations of confidentiality,
- keep up to date and informed regarding Montessori and other educational trends and developments,
- show commitment to continued Montessori and other education and training opportunities with a view to continuous professional development,
- behave in a way that enhances the dignity and integrity SAMA and Montessori education and that does not bring the Montessori profession or philosophy into disrepute.
Commitment to theParent
SAMA members where applicable shall;
- inform the parents about Montessori education and keep parents informed about developments within the Montessori community,
- recognise the parents as partners in education, and promote a harmonious relationship with them,
- keep parents adequately and timeously informed about the well‐being and progress of the child.